Shabby chic chalkboard

So here's the deal...I wanted one of those entry way cute chalk boards but I couldn't stomach the price tag. Well whats a good DIYer to do? I made my own out of an ugly full length mirror I had sitting in my garage. Mirror's make excellent chalkboards because they are so smooth and flat. So here's the process. I bought some chalkboard spray paint at Home Depot (that stuff ROCKS if you haven't tried it). I taped off the wood frame on my mirror with painters tape making sure not to cover the mirror part. I sprayed about 3 layers of chalk board paint on my mirror (making sure to let each coat dry fully before applying more). Once the mirror was dry and even, I removed the tape and then re-applied a thick layer of tape to the chalkboard part so I could paint the frame. The frame on this mirror is an ugly brownish and I wanted a shabby chic white. I painted the frame with approx 3 coats of Rustoleum Heirloom White spraypaint and once it was dry I distressed it in the corners and on the edges. Normally I would have applied a poly to it to protect the paint but its hanging on the wall so it wasn't necessary. I love the finished product and it'll come in handy for grocery lists!
Before

AFTER
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           




Distressing on Corners







1 comment: