When it rains it pours...

Hey everyone! So this is a bit of a personal post...which I don't do very often but its been a bad morning so far and I needed to vent. Last friday I went into the Dermatologist to have a cyst removed from my upper left arm. It wasn't big or hideous but I have had it removed a couple of times before and it has always come back. Well he removed it, stitched me up and sent me on my way. I went back in today to have the stitches removed which I thought was going to be a 5 minute appt so I just brought my son with me. Well the tech came in and removed my stitches and then the doctor came in and told me to wait a few mins that he'd be right back. When he came back in he had a strange look on his face and he told me that there was a strong possibility that what we thought was a cyst is actually a Dermato Fibroma Sarcoma Tuberance. I asked him if it was cancer and he said "no not exactly"...hm....well thats not the answer I was looking for. He said that it is an extremely rare thing that is very often misdiagnosed because it looks exactly like a totally benign and harmless cyst. He said that in his 30 plus years in practice he's never seen one. He also said that if it ends up being the DFST that they will have to remove A LOT more of the skin around the perimeter so they can make sure they get it all. This is an extremely aggressive lesion that will keep coming back and can...if left too long....become a very disfuguring thing to remove. He told me that they see a case like this about once every 5 years in the whole city...and that he's going to a meeting this afternoon to discuss interesting cases with other Derms and he's going to be discussing my case. Lucky me! He won't know truly what this is until he gets the labs back around the middle of next week.
Although this isn't something that's gonna kill me, it still makes me very nervous and if it ends up being the DFST he'll be removing it again but taking A LOT more (the first time he removed it he took about a dime size...this time it'll be about a quarter size or bigger). I won't know anything for several days though so I'll just be praying until then and trying not to worry. If you guys think about it, would you include me in your prayers? I would really appreciate it!

12 comments:

  1. Oh, hun. That stinks. I'll be praying for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be thinking about you! Hope all turns out well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Kelsey.
    I am sorry to hear this for you-
    I know you must be very scared- I would be.
    It will be a long wait till next week, I know.
    I send you hugs and smiles and prayers.
    Maybe stay busy packing?
    I will pray also that any $ that you may lose in the breaking of your lease, will come swiftly back to you.
    Our Father knows what He's doing.
    He loves you and is there with you.
    Let Him hold you through these changes.
    (I may need you to tell me this sometime).
    Blessings to you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelsey. I just found your blog then and was so touched by this story. I wish you all the best. I too have had some cysts removed so can somewhat understand your anxiety about the possibility of having a larger than usual incision. I'm sure everything will work out in the end.
    Hugs
    Kristine
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you, babe! Call me and let me know what they find out! LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. definatly will be praying up here!! HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelsey,
    Thanks for the note on my Tea Party post- I will look for Portland Oregon Tea Party on FaceBook.
    Please let us know when you hear something back from the doctors?
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Kelsey, I'm sorry! I know that has to be so tough. I certainly will remember you in my prayers! Thank you for the sweet comment about my silly lamp when you've got so much going on! Remembering you today, shaunna :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course, I will. Remember not to borrow tomorrow's worry. Waiting is so frustrating and it seems like you have to pull info out of those doctors. Try to be positive and do something fun for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry to hear that! I hope that everything turns out okay for you. I will definitely pray for you. Thank you so much for all the recommendations for my Oregon Coast trip! That is so sweet of you! I will definitely look into Spanish Head if we end up going to Lincoln City.

    PS
    Whenever we had to go to the doctor or dentist when we were little we would get a milkshake afterward - you should reward yourself after it is all over. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not a stalker :)
    Okay, maybe a little teeny one, LOL!
    Just stopped in to say Hi, and that I was thinking about ya!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete